I never gave deep thought to what this word means until my husband pointed it out.
In the past year of becoming a published author, I have reached more milestones than I could ever dream of.
First, being signed to 5 Prince Publishing in 2012, and not signing one book, but the entire six book Butterfly Memoirs Series! That still blows my mind…
When I started writing, I saw it as more of a hobby to keep my sanity and a much needed distraction from sitting in front of the TV playing The Sims until the kids came home. Hey, what can I say, I had fun giving my ‘characters’ lives I could control…well, control split with the computer program, that is. If you’ve ever played the game, you know what I mean. J
But with writing, there is another element of control that involves talent, creativity, and a tone of patience, perseverance, and determination. Oh yeah, and as every author knows, that so called ‘control’ over your imaginary characters gets lost from time to time when they come to ‘life’ and fight you and your Muse tooth and nail to write a story!
Other milestones reached include:
- Earning the title of Bestselling Author in African American Literature & Romance, African American Women’s Fiction, African American Romance, and Multicultural and Interracial Romance (within hours of publication!) – debut novel, A Heart Not Easily Broken (September, 2012)
- Publishing a second novel (because the first one wasn’t easy!!!) – Jaded (March, 2013)
- Starting and hosting the Wordsmith Writers of Clayton County Writer’s Group which once meet at the Clayton County Headquarters Library, but has since moved to Barnes & Noble! (September 2012) I’ve had the privilege of meeting and working with wonderful talent from various stages of publication!
- Being nominated by members of the Building Relationships Around Books (B.R.A.B) book club as Best New Author and Breakout Author (The winners have not been announced yet, but just being chosen along with the many other talented authors is a wonderful experience!)
- Being selected as the Featured Author at the First Annual Author Workshop held by The Virtuous Women, LLC (August, 2013)
- Speaking at the Jonesboro Library and hosting a workshop on How to Land a Publishing Contract. (August, 2013)
- I’ve also had the opportunity to participate in a few phone interviews; the latest was with LaSheera Lee of Read You Later Blog Talk Radio. (September, 2013)
That is by no means all of them, but those are some of the most memorable ones by far. So what’s next?
The most recent milestone happened on October 15th, when I had the opportunity to be interviewed by DeKalb County Commissioner, Stan Watson, on his local program, The Stan Watson Show, which features people in the community from various walks of life, talent, and businesses. It was my first television appearance as a published author, and by far, very memorable!
Take a few minutes and watch the link. I’m the first interview (time stamp 5:20). There were some technical issues in the beginning, but they are quickly resolved. Enjoy! Also, check out the wonderful interviews that follow! I look forward to sharing more about their projects on my blog in the next few weeks.
So, what’s up next on my ‘Milestone List?’
THE SORMAGE ONLINE CONFERENCE!!!
NOVEMBER 1-3, 2013
I’m excited to join other talented authors in two online panels on November 2nd: Social Media and Readers, and November 3rd: Marketing. Both are LIVE PHONE panels! If you haven’t registered for the conference, what are you waiting for???? REGISTER NOW!!! It’s FREE!!!!
And of course, my favorite project, LONELY HEART (BOOK 3 of THE BUTTERFLY MEMOIRS)!!!! The editing for this book is well underway. Release date is MARCH 6, 2014!!!! I love the way this story has turned out. The more I feel the characters as I edit, the more they come alive and their voices and stories are defined. I can promise you one thing; Kaitlyn’s story is NOTHING like the Ebony or Yasmine’s. Every woman has their own path in life, decisions that are made, and consequences to deal with. I look forward to sharing snippets with you as the edits are completed.
And since the contest I posted on Facebook the night of the interview did not go the way I thought it would due to the limited viewing area, I am going to hold another contest, another opportunity for TWO lucky winners to win an eBook copy of LONELY HEART the day it’s published! Entry is simple, just follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter link! The winner will be announced on November 1st!
Good luck! And thanks to every one for your continued support! Without you guys, these MILESTONES would be unattainable dreams! ((HUGS)) and <3!!!!
Thank you for stopping by! I love to make new friends. Got questions or comments? Leave a comment, or connect with me online! If you’ve enjoyed this post, sign up for the monthly newsletter by following this blog!
- SORMAG Online Conference 2013- Readers and Writers, will you be there? (authormjkanebooks.wordpress.com)